This recipe is for my favorite breakfast casserole ever. I made it last year for breakfast for our Sunday School class, and was going to post the recipe last year when I made it, but I didn't take photos along the way, so I made sure to this time! I was making a double batch, so don't be alarmed by all the ingredients or that the pans change. ;)
The best part of this casserole is that you make it the night before and then just pop it in the oven in the morning, which also makes it great for a breakfast when you have company!
1 lb breakfast sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cups shredded cheese (I use the Kraft Mexican blend)
15-20 corn tortillas
1 can diced green chiles
6 eggs beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
a few dashes of hot pepper sauce
1. In a skillet, (or cast iron dutch oven if you just happened to find Le Creuset for 1/2 price at Williams-Sonoma last weekend and are using any excuse to use it ;) ), drizzle some EVOO, and crumble the sausage and brown it like you would ground beef. Remove from the skillet and place in a bowl or plate lined with paper towels.
2. Drain most of the grease from the skillet and toss in the chopped onions and red bell peppers. Cook until the onions are clear but aren't brown. Add the drained sausage back to the skillet with the bell peppers and onions and try not to be disgusted by how much grease is on the paper towels as you throw them in the trash. Add the diced green chiles to the sausage mixture. *I also add a little garlic powder, cumin, and chile powder to the sausage mixture here because I like my food with lots of spices, but it's totally optional and if you don't like spicy food I suggest you skip it.*
3. Put the corn tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave them for 30-45 seconds. **I forgot the paper towel with the first batch and the tortillas split like crazy.** Take one tortilla at a time and put a few spoon fulls of the sausage mixture and some cheese and roll up. Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
4. In a medium bowl place eggs, half-and-half cream, milk, hot pepper sauce, flour, and, garlic powder. Whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture over tortillas slowly, making sure you cover each tortilla in egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning preheat oven to 350. *If you made your casserole in a glass pan make sure to take it out of the fridge before or when you turn the oven on, don't stick the cold glass dish directly into the oven, or it could break! Definitely learned this the hard way right after we got married!*
Also, don't be alarmed if it looks like all the egg mixture has disappeared, it comes back. ;)
6. Bake covered in foil for 50-60 minutes, or until set. Sprinkle casserole with shredded cheese and place back in oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa! :)